This course examined a number of theoretical perspectives on learning and instruction. How do people learn? How do they perceive and process information, build knowledge, and develop expertise? My work for this course focused on the application of some of these theories to guide design decisions and using technology tools to complete assignments. At this stage in the course, I started learning about new tools and what was important was the application of the principles to the content, rather than on mastering the tools.

Illustrating Schemas using Moovly and YouTube

The following video is an animated presentation I did using Moovly, an animation software available online. I really enjoyed working on this, but have yet to master what this program has to offer. I think using Moovly really enhanced my presentation and helped viewers to follow the story of my schema restructuring.

Social Cues in Multimedia Learning

I researched an app called the MOOD Meter designed by the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence. I recorded a presentation to discuss the effectiveness of this app aimed to encourage young people to share their feelings using an interactive tool. The app has design features of a game that appeals to the younger generation, allowing them to better assimilate their response and at the same time have easy access.

For recorded presentation, click on following link:

http://capture.quinnipiac.edu/recordings/pernstberger/IDN526%20M9%20Social%20Cues-RULER/IDN526_M9_Social_Cues-RULER__-_20141025_213418_15.html

Youth Engagement through a Socio-cultural Setting- applying the principles of social cues to course development.

I recorded this audio visual presentation using VoiceThread

https://quinnipiac.voicethread.com/share/6553098/

Prototype for Chemistry online Module

This presentation was made using TechSmith Relay and edited using Camtasia 2. It describes a chemistry online module I wanted to re-design to better engage students. It shows a prototype of what I anticipated the module to look like and include. My intention is to use videos and simulations to better illustrate the concepts and at the same time allow students to practice through game simulation. I started this project before I was introduced to Captivate, which is what I intend to use as an interactive responsive authoring tool.

IDN526 Online Learning Final Project.pptx

For full video recording see the following link:

https://capture.quinnipiac.edu/recordings/pernstberger/

IDN526%20FINAL%20Project%20Presentation/

IDN526_FINAL_Project_Presentation_-_20141205_124056_15.html

Applying the concept of a Community of Practice (CoP)

For this project, I worked with a team and together we identified a CoP to which all the members of our group belong. Each of us came up with common interests and ideas that we could apply this concept to. Through our presentation we shared the purpose of this CoP and referred to "Using Technology to Transform Communities of Practice into Knowledge-Building Communities" paper, written by Hoadley and Kilner which describe the goals of the CoP and the 4C's. The presentation was recorded using Camtasia.

Learning to Learn in a New Culture

For my final project in this course, I wanted to focus on the priciple of CoP and applying this concept to the course I have been developing and designing. Aquaculture is a field that demands a lot of interaction and collaboration. For students to get a real-world experience and better appreciation of what this field has to offer, it is important to establish a networked CoP. Working alongside experts and interested people in this field, aims to support student learning and increase engagement through a collaborative cognitive apprenticeship approach. The course I am currently developing is a blended program that offers students modules online and real-life application through work experience and practice.

For a recorded presentation click on this link: 

https://capture.quinnipiac.edu/recordings/pernstberger/IDN527_

Final_Project_Presentation/IDN527_Final_Project_Presentation_-_20150429_185743_15.html