Sal-in-action and on-the-spot

Below are faculty evaluations of my teaching:

It is reaffirming that faculty feedback reinforce the positive attributes that students have identified about my teaching (e.g., expertise in content areas, energy and enthusiasm in class). Faculty also note of my rapport with students while communicating "high expectations."

Conversely, faculty also reinforced the need to address some of the challenges that some students have reported  in the classroom. In particular, I need to work on my pacing of instruction and in editing myself. I realize that in my excitement about the subject matter, I invite instant discussion and discourse, which may put students on the spot. This approach tend to favor typically high-performing students who are quick at integrating material but may leave others behind who may need time to digest the material first before they can engage "hands on deck." I have trialed incorporating short activities that function as cognitive breaks in the Junior year courses with encouraging results. I plan to do this more in the graduate level courses and incorporate more CATs (classroom assessment techniques) to provide immediate feedback to me and to the students.