ED*301: Field Study I

Learning Artifact: My Dream Classroom Project

About the Learning Artifact

In my ED*301 course, we not only reflected upon our observational field study experiences in a local suburban, public school, but we also were taught high-leverage teaching practices that we might want to implement into our future classrooms. The learning artifact that I chose to display below accurately depicts all that I learned from this course. This is why I chose this as my learning artifact. It was our summative project where we were asked to provide a visual "blueprint" of our classroom format, along with the rationale behind the layout, the procedures, and the behavior policies. Each of the elements of this project can be found below.

My Teaching Philosophy

(Inspired by Rita Pierson)

Professor Napolitano

Fall 2015 || ED301

I am going to be blatantly honest: like the multitude of other aspiring educators, I am sick of people degrading our profession, our dream job, our passion. Teachers hold the most powerful, most influential position in the working world. Educators guide students not only in their pursuit to discover more about themselves, but also in their pursuit of what their purpose is in this life. Thus, teachers do not sit low on the totem pole of the working world; rather, they sit atop as true “champions.” If educators set high expectations for their students, ignite a fire in their students’ confidence and self-worth, and remain both altruistically and intellectually present in the lives of their students, then they will never go to bed wondering what they did for the world. Teachers who give the world to their students will mean the world to them.

This is why Rita Pierson’s quote serves as my teaching philosophy, and this is my solemn promise to my future students. I will be their champion as they become champions themselves, and I will not let them down.

____________________________________________________________________

My Dream Classroom Project 

Professor Napolitano

Fall 2015 || ED301

Welcome! I am Miss Chelo, and I am an aspiring third grade teacher who has been given a wonderful opportunity to make my dream classroom come to life! My classroom’s layout and rationale revolve around student growth, encouraging them to be the best versions of themselves from the ground up. It is only appropriate that my classroom revolves around a garden theme. Each designated area of my classroom not only cultivates engaged student learning, but also nurtures the students’ emotional and mental well-being. Between the bright colors, the satisfaction of different learning styles, and the formal choices made in the furniture and layout, my classroom climate will inspire my students to be passionate learners and compassionate individuals. We will grow and blossom together in my dream classroom.

______________________________________________________________

MY DREAM CLASSROOM'S TECHNOLOGY

As a teacher, I believe that technology should not abuse a child’s learning experience through its overuse. Although the technology industry has been booming in the past decade and has been called “the way of the future,” it can be distracting and detrimental to a student’s academic performance. This being said, as generous as it is to have unlimited funds and opportunities thanks to my Dream Classroom Project, I choose to limit the use of technology in my classroom. I do not put a block of time aside for technology. It is a privilege, not a class period! I have provided students with technology not only inside the classroom, but also outside of it. This way, their parents can also become technologically connected with their child’s learning and progress. Provided below is the gallery of technology tools that I have implemented and the rationale behind each of them.