ED*315: Diversity in Education

Learning Artifact: Chapter Project

Chapter 1: "Religious Representation in Children's Literature"

About the Learning Artifact

Each of my fellow classmates and I were asked to read a chapter of Darwin L. Henderson's book, Exploring Culturally Diverse Literature for Children & Adolescents, on a weekly basis. Once we completed the book near the end of the semester, we were each asked to choose a chapter to present and summatively "teach" the class. This allowed us to "jigsaw" the most important points from each chapter and share them with one another. We were also asked to share other teaching resources or technology tools throughout our presentation that could accompany the chapters' topics. Because I have always been a firm believer in learning about other's religions to learn more about my own, I decided to present key information and resources based on Chapter 1 of Henderson's book.

I chose this as my learning artifact from this course because religion is a very important aspect of diversity and one's cultural identity. Whether students are enrolled in public or private schools, they should be made aware of not only each other's cultural differences, but also each other's cultural similarities. This way, students can learn to build bridges and become more responsible cultural citizens of our world. The PowerPoint presentation that I created for this chapter project can be found below.