ED*401: Field Study III

Learning Artifact: ELA Lesson Plan (1st Grade)

About the Learning Artifact

Like my other field study seminars, this course gave us the opportunity to reflect on our experiences teaching in the primary grades in a local, urban elementary school. We were also taught how to write lesson plans using our MAT Program's template and the high-leverage teaching practices we learned. 

The learning artifact that I chose to display below is one of the ELA lesson plans we were asked to create. This scripted lesson plan is for a first-grade reading class, and the objective students will meet by the end of this lesson is "First-grade students will be able to state the main idea using the subject and key details of an informational text." Throughout the lesson, students are guided through the steps of writing a gist statement to identify the main idea of an informational text. I use an ice-cream cone as a visual metaphor of the different components of the main idea. The cone is the subject, each of the three scoops are key details, and the entire ice cream cone dessert is the main idea. Students use this metaphor throughout the course of the lesson as they independently practice meeting the objective and help me to create a "Getting the SCOOP on the Main Idea" bulletin board at the conclusion of the lesson. I chose this learning artifact to display because it exhibits my knowledge on student discourse, first-grade ELA content, creative, high-leverage teaching practices, a full understanding of the components of a lesson plan, and effective use of technology tools. This lesson plan and learning artifact can be found below.