ED*436: Teaching Literacy in the Primary Grades

Learning Artifact: Final Literacy Portfolio

About the Learning Artifact

In this course, we were taught different literacy teaching strategies and content-related concepts for grades 1-3. This included how to perform running records and analyses, teach aspects of phonological awareness, increase a student's fluency, and teach English as a second language to ELLs. As a summative assessment, we were asked to create a final literacy portfolio that displays all we learned from this semester. This portfolio asked us to create a daily schedule with rationale, provide instructional focus for each individual student based on their literacy levels, place students in differentiated groups for literacy centers, create these literacy centers to meet their needs and engage students, conduct an analysis of a recorded read aloud, compose a lesson plan to teach to the primary grade in which we were conducting our field study, and design lesson plans for a week-long daily read aloud.

I chose the first grade as my focus for my final literacy portfolio, and this learning artifact can be found below. I chose to display this learning artifact because it not only demonstrates my knowledge of literacy in the primary grades, but it also exhibits my ability to organize information efficiently, as well as my creative, engaging instructional practices and student discourse.