ED*468: Math for the Primary Grades

Learning Artifact: Midterm Game

About the Learning Artifact

Like my previous ED*436: Literacy in the Primary Grades course, this course taught us how to properly teach mathematics in the primary grades. As a former English major who struggled with math during her elementary years, I was somewhat nervous about how well I would grasp these new instructional practices. Although they are completely different from how I was taught, they seem to have changed with time for the better. There are more hands-on, tangible ways for students to understand these mathematical practices using manipulatives and assistive technologies. We were also taught how to place math into more meaningful contexts to further engage students and show them how they can make real-world connections to what they are learning. Despite my worries prior to this course, I was able to fully grasp the "new math" being taught in schools today and feel confident in my new knowledge.

The learning artifact from this course that I have chosen to display below is the Midterm assessment project: to create a board game using mathematics standards from the primary grades. The Kindergarten learning objective of my board game, "Ladybug Lost & Found," is Kindergarten students will be able to strategically solve addition and subtraction problems within 10 by playing the “Ladybug Lost & Found” board game. Similar to the traditional board game "Sorry!," students are each given three addition problem cards in subitized form (dice dot form). The sum of the addition problem they strategically choose to pull equals the amount of spaces they move. The first player to get all of their ladybugs back home wins. I chose to display my midterm game as my learning artifact because