_________________________________________________________

PROFESSOR DANSDILL'S PROPOSAL:

Require Academic Self-Assessment and the E-Portfolio for English Majors

English Department Meeting - Thursday, May 1st, 2014

The link below will bring you to the rationale and implements that Professor Dansdill presented at the English Department Meeting in regards to making the E-Portfolio more imperative for English Majors.

DANSDILL PROPOSAL.docx

Along with the presentation of this proposal, he also compiled student responses as to whether they agree or disagree with his ideas. As you can most likely tell, I have been in agreement with this from the start.

Ever since my advisory meeting with Professor Dansdill in the beginning of the second semester, we have been exchanging e-mails regarding this proposal presentation, along with the possibility of me making an appearance and personally sharing my input on the E-Portfolio--how it has shaped my learning experience thus far as a Freshman. After some time of preparation and finalizing details for the proposal presentation, Professor Dansdill agreed to give me the opportunity of being his sidekick! Take a look at my response below. 

PROFESSOR DANSDILL'S PROPOSAL - MY RESPONSE

“Unlike the majority of my fellow classmates, I have been oriented with the Digication E-Portfolio program since my Sophomore year in high school. At La Salle Academy, I was granted the opportunity to be a member of the PEGASUS 10 – 12 Enrichment Program. It is “a leading edge Program that Enhances the Gifts, Aptitudes, and Skills of Unique Students.” This unique program was designed to expand the knowledge of gifted/talented students by developing a capstone project that entails both academic and LaSallian mission—community outreach—criteria.  The student’s individual interests and passions can be expressed beyond the boundaries of the classroom, in this sense, and they are especially showcased using this E-Portfolio. My Pegasus 10 - 12 Project and E-Portfolio can be found at the following link: 

https://lasalleacademy.digication.com/stitchesofstrength/Home/published

You can imagine both my surprise and eagerness to delve into Quinnipiac University’s version as I document both my academic and extracurricular achievements that I hope to fulfill these next four years. Applying the Essential Learning Outcomes (ELOs) to my accomplishments will allow me to reflect on their significance as I shape myself to be the student and future educator I inspire to be. New research regarding the impact of educators of all levels on their students has shown that children aren’t truly learning; rather, they are sticking to memorization strategies to pass tests—knowledge that is acquired in the classroom goes in one ear and out the other once all tests are said and done. Students should not be force-fed such valuable information, for the gift of education consequently deteriorates in value. This “deep learning” that Professor Dansdill and his fellow advisors are encouraging through the use of this E-Portfolio program is a grand step in reversing the curse of this degrading education era. Not only does this E-Portfolio serve as an incredible tool for all majors in general, but more specifically, for the English Major.

Implementing this especially in the English Major will allow students like myself to organize their pieces, construct a timeline showing their progression, and ultimately identifying themselves as mature writers and intelligent collegiate scholars by the conclusion of their Senior Capstone. Having a secure place for work that is easily accessible for English professors and their students alike is so imperative, both for their own sanity and for the years to come when graduates are in pursuit of writing careers. Connecting artifacts and reflecting on one’s work as they build upon the E-Portfolio can go a long way in becoming more involved and passionate about the English Major, especially when establishing one’s personal voice and purpose within their writing.

It is only my freshman year, and I can already tell that my E-Portfolio has truly shaped me into the well-rounded, enthusiastic student that I am today. This all being said, I full-heartedly concur with Professor Dansdill’s proposal in implementing the E-Portfolio into the English Major. I cannot wait to see how far this technology takes both my learning experience, as well as those of the remainder of the student community, here at Quinnipiac University.”

-Taylor Chelo, Class of 2017